Monday, January 26, 2009

American Standard con't...

Progress is slow but steady. Lonnie has meticulously glued each open seam with fresh hide glue while using every clamp available in the workshop…in his words “you can never have too many clamps”. It is a good thing we appreciate and respect these old basses because I don’t think any “normal” person would be taking such great care and effort to repair the back on this American Standard. If Lonnie had to charge by the hour for his labor…this bass would be worth its weight in gold or without his patience it would be firewood. But we are not “normal” and we like that!



It will bring a huge smile to my face when I am playing this bass and thinking about all the hard work that went in to its restoration and bringing it back to original playing condition. This bass was a good bass before…but now it is going to be a great bass with many years of music left in it. I have to decide what type of strings I want to use. I originally picked out Thomastik Dominants but now I am thinking about of a set of vintage “old school” guts I have in reserve…or maybe Innovation Super Silvers…or maybe Velvet Garbo. I have to think about this…at this rate I have a few weeks to make my decision. Two steps forward…

No comments:

Post a Comment